Image Map

Monday, August 24, 2015

Creative Block

As an individual who likes to indulge in creative activities, I often go through periods of creative block. I never feel a steady flow of "making" things- it always seems like I'm either churning out products or like I'm stagnant. Stagnant times like these really kill my self confidence. Not only do I feel like I can't make anything, but I feel like my skills have drained. It's got to be the worst feeling in the world, but I think what helps is one thing I have been thinking of for a while-
What if creative block was not the lack of creativity and ideas, but rather the overwhelming supply of them? I sometimes look at a blank sheet of paper and I am filled with anxiety. It's not that I can't think of anything at all to put on it, but rather that I can't choose one perfect thing to do with it. I think that creative block might be stemming off of being a perfectionist. I can't choose the perfect photo for a reference, or I can't choose the perfect medium to use. Maybe it's that I think that in the end it may not be worth my time. To get rid of this, I have to get rid of the doubt. The perfection. I need to realize that even if I mess up or "fail" in my own eyes, the process has taught me much more than the final product ever will. I'ts hard to remember, but very important.

Where do you think creative block stems from, and how do you try to cure yours?

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment